There are three main types of audits which are environmental compliance audits, environmental management audits to verify whether an organization meets its stated objectives, and, functional environmental audits such as for water and electricity.
Its benefits vary depending on the objectives and scope of the audit. Environmental auditing benefits include:
- Organizations understand how to meet their legal requirements.
- Meeting specific statutory reporting requirements.
- Organizations can demonstrate they are environmentally responsible.
- Organizations can demonstrate their environmental policy is implemented
- Understanding environmental interactions of products, services & activities,
- Knowing their environmental risks are managed appropriately
- Understanding how to develop and implement an ISO 14001 EMS;
- Improving environmental performance and saving money.